Examples of activities you can do at home or your community
Social distancing at Rocky Mtn Assisted Living – hallway bingo using wheeled trays!
“On This Day”– Read about this day in history.
Spring 2021 Activities (Sensory Outings activities examples)
A).Ladybug Painted Rocks – Flat stones, paint (black, white, red, blue, green, purple) and brush.
B). Playing Card Matching: This activity is matching playing cards and can be easily modified to adjust the difficulty level by limiting playing cards to be matched.
Instruction for early stage:
- You need to display 9 random cards on a page and copy that page; repeat this process to make 4 pages of random cards.
- Place the 4 pages on a table.
- Take the deck of cards and turn one card over to see if it matches one a card on the pages.
- If the card does match the copied card of the page then place it with the matching copied card.
- If the card does not match any of the copied cards of the pages, then discard it.
- Continue matching any the cards.
Middle-late stage: Take one of the card pages and a bag with 9 matching cards and have the resident match the cards. If the resident completes the task, then give him/her another set of a card page and bag with 9 matching cards.
C). Lacing: The materials are yarn or shoelace, scissors, plastic needle with a large eyelet, and something to lace
Instruction for early stage:
- Pick out an item to lace either a lacing cards or paper plate or foam plate they can design with stickers, and foam object like a soccer ball or Christmas tree or a Valentine’s heart that they can punch holes around then rim.
- Next, thread your plastic needle with yarn. If you don’t have a plastic needle then put some tape around the end of the yarn so your resident can lacing of the lacing card.
- With the plastic needle, thread the yard into the first hole and tie the end of the yarn to the rim of the lacing card. Next, thread to yard through the next hole, be sure that the pulled the yarn completely through.
- Do the same thing of the next hole.
- When you’re finished with lacing, used the scissors to cut the yarn and tie the end of the yarn off.
Middle-stage: The lacing cards are dark colored and large holes and the shoelace is a lighter color so the resident can see them better
D). Terracotta Flower Pot Wind Chimes: Three different size pots, paint and yarn.
- 3-dimension tour of the White House: the-white-house-google-virtual-tour/
- Take an interactive tour of 4 of America’s National Parks
- Stroll the Great Wall of China
- Check out the giraffe at the San Diego Zoo giraffe-cam
- Check out the bald eagle nest bald-eagle-nest-livestream
- Check out the penguin at San Diego Zoo penguin-cam
- Check out the baby rhino at the Denver Zoo
- Choose any of Monterey Bay Aquarium’s live cams, including the sea otter cam (so cute!)
- Go to the DC and see the animals at The National Zoo
- Visit the world’s largest cave, Son Doong Cave in Vietnam with this interactive tour (don’t forget to turn up the sound)
- Tour the Vatican
- Listen to oral histories at the National Women’s History Museum
- Ride It’s a Small World at Disney
- Visit Sea World and ride the Mako roller coaster
- Online games – bridge, scrabble, solitaire click here
- Play online Tetris
2. Printable Activities
- For bakers, here is the Doubletree Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe
- Flowers trivia quiz – Flower-quiz
- Presidents trivia quiz – presidents-quiz
- Sports trivia quiz – Sports-quiz
- Two minutes of each activity with your loved one Demen2min
3. Movies to watch: 100-movie-recommendation
4. Lucynt magic table dementia games (cognitively challenged games): https://lucynt.com/magic-table-interactive-games/
BECOME A MEMBER – We understand what people with dementia like to do for activities – we have 10+ years of experience with dementia and activities! We have compiled a variety of Montessori-style of activities (e.g., Sorting, Matching, Men’s Work) with direction and guidance with respect to the stages of dementia.